From Fat to Fit Chick: : Breaking the Emotional Eating Habit   

Monday, June 24, 2013

Breaking the Emotional Eating Habit

My biggest habit to break was emotional eating.



I used to hide in my car & eat when I was stressed.

I also used to hide boxes of Little Debbie's all over the house & go through at least 2 boxes a day.

If I was happy I wanted food, if I was sad I wanted food too.

Looking back.....as a kid, this is how emotions were handled.  I cried & I would get hugs and a big bowl of ice cream.  I smiled and we'd have cake.

How do I get through it?

Realize it is something I always play by ear.  Sometimes I don't fall into the emotional eating trap & sometimes I do.  

First off, be kind to yourself.  The more you beat yourself up, the more this will continue.

So how do you start?

  • Recognize emotional eating and learn what triggers this behavior in you.  Journal after the episodes happen, your feelings during & after.  Then write down what you would have done differently.
  • Try taking a walk, do your workout, calling a friend, playing cards, reading, doing laundry, scrapbooking or something else productive to take your mind off the craving.
  • When you do get the urge to eat when you're not hungry, find a comfort food that's healthy instead of junk food.  Keep easy to grab snacks like grapes around.
  • If at all possible keep your trigger foods out of the house.  
  • Reach out to someone.  Whether it's an online support or in real life.  It's essential to know you are not alone.
  • Forgive yourself & move on.