From Fat to Fit Chick: : Eat more to weigh less!   

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Eat more to weigh less!

Thinking you have to starve yourself is the biggest misconception there is out there when it comes to weight loss.


This picture has a good bit of truth in it.  Sure you can eat healthy and still gain weight *but* chances are you won't.  So instead of going for the ultimate 1200 calories a day, why not go with more and then slowly lower it down to suit your needs if you have to?  Besides....being uber restrictive in both what you are eating PLUS the amount can set you up for failure.  Some people call it "starvation" mode.  I just call it "Just EAT before you eat someone".

So what do I do?  I eat high volume foods.  Like fresh veggies. Lots of veggies. These fill your belly without overdoing it on calories & give you what your body needs.

I'm a believer of volumetrics.  I'd rather eat an apple instead of drinking apple juice.  The apple itself is filling because of the water, skin & meat, where the juice isn't.  Know what I mean?

Honestly, I am not super strict on my calories, it's a good thing I semi-low carb it.  Just know what I'm about to list is what I actively lose weight on.

For example, here is a typical day for me, which ranges from 1800-2000 calories a day:

Breakfast - 1 whole egg, 4 egg whites, 1/2 cup of cooked spinach & 1/2 cup bell pepper, onion, mushroom mix (the mix is sauteed in a little bit of EVOO) or 3 whole eggs and all of the other stuff

Snack - 1 oz cheddar cheese and a boiled egg

Lunch - 2-3 cups of mixed lettuce, 1 whole boiled egg, 1/4 cup cheese, 1 can small shrimp, 2 tbsp of ranch dressing or maybe a protein like baked fish and 2 cups of sauteed veggies.

Snack - 2 zucchinis cut into "french fries" tossed with a little bit of olive oil and salt. (graze on these all day)

Dinner - 1 1/2 cups of homemade spaghetti and 1 cup spaghetti squash
(recipe is here http://fromfattofitchick.blogspot.ca/2013/01/homemade-spaghettirecipe.html)

Snack - Skinny Cow ice cream bar or a tablespoon of peanut butter

A lot right?

It's all filling, except for the ice cream. Ha!

If you are a calorie counter, I do recommend this site to get your calorie goals. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Couple a higher calorie intake with healthy clean food and you won't be HANGRY any time soon ;)