From Fat to Fit Chick: : Exercise: Are you doing too much, too soon?   

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Exercise: Are you doing too much, too soon?

When I used to work in gyms and aerobic studios there was one thing that kind of bothered me....it still does when I get messages from frustrated people about having a hard time.

No, not typical gym etiquette being ignored.

It was/is the amount of women coming in when we reopened in the afternoon & staying until we close...4 hours of classes.  Not to mention all cardio.  Yeah, I'm looking at you my beginners.

Why is this a bad idea?

This is not livable.  Are you going to exercise 4 hours a day, 6-7 days a week forever?  I know shows like Extreme Weight Loss and Biggest Loser show absolute newbies working out 6+ hours a day but I hope y'all realize that those shows aren't exactly real life.

I know for me it isn't something I'd care or want to do.  

So what do you start with?

If you are totally inactive, try for 30 minutes a day.  Or if you are like me, I was so out of shape, I started out with 5-10 minutes a day.  Slowly work your time up.  Rome wasn't built in a day.

All cardio?  Try body weight or some kind of strength exercises too.  Push-ups, lunges, squats, etc....which all can be modified depending on experience.

Above all, when in doubt, do something you enjoy.  If you enjoy it, you'll be more likely to stick with it.



Just don't run yourself into the ground or you'll probably get frustrated and walk away.

It's all about finding a balance.  Find yours <3