From Fat to Fit Chick: : Rocketchix Triathlon Recap!   

Monday, August 5, 2013

Rocketchix Triathlon Recap!

I got to mark something off of my bucket list two Saturdays ago by participating in my first triathlon on the LSU campus.

I was SO nervous!  I have run multiple 5Ks and 10Ks but this was totally out of my realm.  Plus to boot I didn't train hardly at all except run.

In April, I was supposed to do this triathlon but it got stormed out.  All of that training down the drain lol

So back to this one.

My husband got up with me around 4am and gathered up our 3 kids while I made sure I had all of my gear.  We had to drive almost 2 hours to LSU from Slidell.  I felt bad they came with me but I was so excited they were there too...if that makes any sense.

We get there and I grab my gear and bike.  I head over to transition and find where I need to put my stuff.  The grass was just cut and I saw that I forgot my towel.  Yay???  I don't have much time to think about it since they were closing transition to start the swimming.

Which waiting for swimming in a pool took fooooorevvvveeeeerrrrr.  400+ women signed up for this and the duathlon that was going on at the same time.

Luckily I ran into a friend of mine and we had fun catching up in line.

Soon enough it was my turn to swim!



First transition went smoother than I thought without my towel.  I admit I wiped my feet off on my backpack that had my gear in it.  It did the trick!



Transition 2 went even more smoothly.  I had a hard time going from the bike to running though.  My legs felt like lead.  Once I got going though I picked up my pace.

The transitions were what I worried about the most and I was pleasantly surprised.


Over all it was the most amazing and physically challenging experience in my active career!  I am hooked on triathlons and can not wait to find another besides these (which I plan to do again too!) and train properly.  

I am so unbelievably proud of this.  

I can now say that I am a Triathlete!

If you are in my area and want to try....Rocketchix is a very beginner friendly one!  Everyone was super nice and we all cheered each other on.




Now on to my half marathon in December ;)


**Side note:  I know I got down on my body last night but after much meditation and destressing yoga, I was reminded on how awesome my body is.  Flaws and all.  Looking back on the triathlon kind of drives it home.  My body did that :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is on your bucket list?