From Fat to Fit Chick: : Planning for the week   

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Planning for the week

I plan.  Most of y'all know that though :)

 I'm pretty flexible with it.  We don't eat everything on set days even if I put something under a specific day, sometimes I switch them around & sometimes we change a meal but use the ingredients I bought or with what I have on hand already.  

I didn't start out doing it, after I read up about it on another blog it totally made sense.  Not only does it help me know what we are eating but it helps our budget (we save money since we don't have to keep going to the store) and keeps the junk out of my mouth because I don't pick it up at one of those last minute grocery store runs plus we have a lot less things going bad.  



I've been planning my family's meals for about 3 years.  I started out doing just dinner annnnnnd it took me almost all day.  I'm a very indecisive person and well give me a whole cookbook with a lot of choices.....and it's like sensory overload lol

It does get easier the more you do it!  Promise.

I usually post my weekly menus on here but also post them on a dry erase board on my fridge.

So this week for me is:

Breakfast- omelets, steel cut oatmeal with fruit and/or greek yogurt plus trying out these sausage, egg and cheese hashbrown cups (http://www.emilybites.com/2011/10/sausage-egg-cheese-hash-brown-cups.html)

Lunch - Black forest ham wraps filled with veggies and maybe leftovers

Snacks - cheese, air popped popcorn, fruit, cucumber and tomatoes with salt & pepper (yum!)

Dinner......
Monday - Red beans and cauliflower rice (for me)/regular brown rice (family)
If you want to make cauliflower rice I have it in this post.


Tuesday - Chicken Shiitake and Wild Rice Soup
(http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/chicken-shiitake-and-wild-rice-soup.html)


Wednesday - Slow Cooker Beef & Broccoli
(http://www.emilybites.com/2013/01/slow-cooker-beef-broccoli.html)


Thursday - Leftovers or breakfast night

Friday - Crock Pot Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili
(
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html)


Saturday - Grilled steaks and veggies

Sunday - Taco night :) (taco salad for me)

Tada!

I'm not a very organized person and when I first started planning I felt very accomplished.  lol

Here are a couple of printouts that will help if you need them.

First is a weekly menu planner template:

or 




and here is a shopping list.....I make my list as I write down what we are having.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you meal plan?  If you do, do you write it down or use an app?