From Fat to Fit Chick: : Managing My Stress   

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Managing My Stress

The last 4 weeks have been so stressful. Most of you know that my 12 year old is high functioning Autistic (his official Dx is PDD vs. Asperger's with generalized Anxiety and ADHD....it's a mouthful lol).

4 weeks ago the school told me after a violent meltdown that he'd have to go into the home bound program to keep him from being expelled so they would have a chance to get services into place and for me to tweak things on my end.

I wasn't ready for that decision & I left so very frustrated and angry about the whole situation.  We moved to a different area to get him out of the other school system we were at and I felt like they were punishing me and my son.

If you noticed I stopped posting pictures of my workouts for a little while, it's because I stopped doing them. I was wallowing in self pity for 2 weeks, I had to depend on my husband to come home so I could go running and of course it never worked out the way I wanted it to.  

The good news?  I managed to not emotionally eat this time and I pulled myself out of the workout pity party :)

Which is awesome.....I let my emotional eating get the best of me when we were buying this house in May and when I let the family drama get to me.  All of the stuff resulted in a regain that I'm still fighting to get back off.

How did I stop it this time?  Oh my gosh, it's so much mental work involved & even then some times you slip.  I just kept on pushing.

Tips I follow:

  • I let myself get mad or sad or frustrated.
  • If I can't change my situation, I change my attitude about it.
  • Know that your goals can stay the same but finding another way doesn't mean you failed, it just means you have to be creative. (My half marathon training is still on going, I just have to cross train more and get extra miles on the weekend.)
  • Write out your feelings or talk to someone you trust. 
  • Keep the junk out of your house and minimize grocery store trips (I know when I'm stressed I'm more apt to head to the grocery store or stop at a drug store and grab candy or crap to eat in the car)
  • Be kind to yourself.  Don't beat yourself up if you do wind up buying crap at the store and eating it.  
  • You need to deal with what is really bothering you.  Stress eating is just an indicator of other problems.
Yeah......um no


Your strength is all in your mind.  Remember that.


(Today I did get great news....my son will be going back to school on Monday and they have plans in place, including a Paraprofessional to help him.  Yeay!)