From Fat to Fit Chick: : Success Story: James   

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Success Story: James

I haven't done a success story in a while but I want to get into spreading the love and showing that I'm not just a fluke by showing off more people that have been successful by losing the weight the "old fashioned" way too!

This is James....he is a great guy I've gotten to know through my fan page on Facebook.  Check out his story below.




NAME & AGE:
James Ray, 32

WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO CHANGE?
The biggest catalyst for my change wasn’t very romantic or emotional…it was economic! I was about to graduate with a criminal justice degree and wanted to work in law enforcement but I was so fat I couldn’t tie my shoes without holding my breath, do a proper push-up, and I was a smoker.
Now that I have come so far it is about being a role-model for my kids, supporting my wife, and inspiring others.

HOW DID YOU DO IT?
Here it is in a nutshell-

  1. Patience, nothing happened fast nor will it ever.
  2. Weight Watchers, introduced me to nutrition and portion control.
  3. Physical activity, started very light with walking/jogging and practicing my push-ups & sit-ups.
  4. Support & Education, this included college courses, reading fitness magazines, utilizing Facebook for support and inspiration, studying for my Group Fitness Certification, and getting a doctor that specializes in Sports Medicine.
  5. Patience, nothing has happened fast nor will it ever.

WHAT WAS YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE?
With a long-term journey like this it is hard to pick a hard-ship or struggle that was the biggest; I have suffered so many set-backs and even given up. Events like losing employment, losing our house, surprise pregnancy, financial difficulties, losing friendships, injuries, sickness, etc…have all conspired to derail me and return me to my 300lbs former self.

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE TO SOMEONE WHO IS JUST STARTING OUT?
Please understand that this must be a lifestyle change and viewed as a long-term journey. I like to think of it in terms of traveling: Visualize trying to reach a clear destination but only knowing where you are starting from and a vague suggestion of a route, you hope to go in a straight line but instead you are going to have to adjust & re-adjust your route constantly as you react to the numerous roadblocks and bumps that you will inevitably encounter. If you stop and ask for directions you will be given 20 different options and no clear answer, and there won’t be any GPS assistance.

It won’t be quick, it won’t be easy, and NO ONE CAN SELL YOU ANYTHING THAT WILL CHANGE THAT!

And last, get support! This is a hard enough journey; don’t make it worse by trying to conquer this on your own. There is so much support out there and it doesn’t need to cost you anything; look to friends who will take this journey with you, seek local support groups, and find support online.

DO YOU HAVE A FAN PAGE OR BLOG? www.facebook.com/fattofitdad