From Fat to Fit Chick: : I think I know what I want to be when I grow up   

Saturday, February 8, 2014

I think I know what I want to be when I grow up

I know I posted about a month ago about having my shit together when the direct sales company that I've been a part of for 10 years sold out to another company.  I thought I wanted to write a book and dedicate myself to the fitness world....the more I thought about it the more it didn't sound like a good idea.  I love health and fitness but I always felt guilty for charging for my advice.  Hell you could put in the leg work, Google and learn for yourself like I did....the information is out there.

A few days after I thought I knew what I wanted, I read in the news that the Audubon Nature Institute (they own the zoo, aquarium, etc here) was going to rebuild the Louisiana Nature Center, 7 years after Katrina destroyed it.

It woke me up like a cold bucket of water poured over my head.

So a little bit of background.....I started volunteering at the Nature Center when I just turned 13 (I was really 12, they didn't know lol).  It turned into my home away from home.  This was the place I ran to when things got tough at home.  I made life long friends that I talk to even now.  I learned about Louisiana, the good and the bad.  I learned about the animals and the environment....and why these things are so important.  I didn't leave the Nature Center until after I moved to Florida to be with my husband, when I was 23.  

I went to college before I had my oldest and my major was biology but I never did finish.  Louisiana native wildlife has always been what I wanted to be involved in.  

Ok back to the present.

After a lot of soul searching, I decided to go back to college for Environmental Biology.  

I don't care if I work for Audubon or somewhere like Wildlife & Fisheries or a state park.  I just know that I want to be on this path.  A path I put to the side when I started a family.  It's time to fight for this now that I have reclaimed my health.

So I applied and got accepted at the University of New Orleans (UNO)!  I start this summer.



What does this mean for you?  Nothing really except probably seeing how I juggle college, 3 kids with a traveling husband, eating healthy and exercising.  Should be interesting ;)

Just thought I would update y'all on my plans.