From Fat to Fit Chick: : The "Supermom" Misconception   

Monday, February 17, 2014

The "Supermom" Misconception

I'm writing this post as I'm thinking about this picture & the common misconception that for a mom to be the best mom she can be, she needs to put herself dead last in order to take care of her children. 


A lot of moms did not like my picture & they found my email address to let me know :X

For those that don't know....I have 3 kids, one with Asperger's. If my kids aren't bleeding, don't have broken bones & their basic needs are met then I firmly believe there is no reason to not make myself happy.

Love yourself. Not only will you flourish but your children will learn to love & take care of themselves is a normal thing.....because their mom does it.

Kids really do learn more by what their parents do than what you tell them.  (I used to be told as a kid "do as I say & not as I do"...ummmm riiiiight)

I'll give myself as an example if you aren't buying into the whole making yourself a priority still.....

I used to sacrifice my well being, not only for my children but for everyone I knew.  I was busy running for everyone & never said no.

This eventually lead to me to not really knowing who I was anymore.  I felt lost & felt like a failure because of it.

Not taking time to get to know myself lead to depression.  I was absolutely useless to myself & my family.  There were days where I just lay in bed, sending my kids to my dad's house next door for them to be taken care of so I could just sleep.

Heck it got so bad that our bird at the time died because I forgot to feed & water it.

I was so run down, so lost.  I was very hard on myself for not being the perfect "Supermom" that I completely shut down.

The big wake up call was when I got into my SUV & could just envision myself ramming it into a tree to kill myself.  

It scared me so much that I opened up to my best friend & my husband.  They both got me to see someone.

Shortly after I went to a convention, where I signed up for a lot of self help type classes.  For some reason it finally clicked that I needed to love myself & treat myself as my own best friend.....and there was nothing wrong with doing so.

I know my story was a bit on the extreme side but hopefully it can open some eyes.

I still think that we put to much pressure on ourselves & others to be that "Supermom".  Hell, look at Pinterest.  That place makes me feel wonderfully inferior & that's why if you follow me there I only use it to pin my stuff lol

There is no need to be a martyr or give up every single thing or not say no if you are stretched too thin.

Btw, there is a reason if air masks come down in a plane that they want you to put yours on first. You need to take care of you in order to be able to take care of others.

**This wasn't really defending myself from the haters......hopefully it can give them and all of you a reason why I feel the way I do about how we all need to take care of ourselves.  We need to learn to not be so hard on ourselves & others too.  

We only get one life & it's meant to be enjoyed.